After much trial and error, I discovered how to add a “Scroll to Top” button, and I’m pretty excited! I really wish wordpress.com would add this as a regular feature bloggers could activate. But since they haven’t, I studied up on how to do it.
And I decided to share my fun discovery in case you’d like one on your blog! First off, here’s a button I made, which you can click to try!
Adding the button:
Because you will have to make the button and find its HTML code, I suggest doing it on an unpublished practice page to lessen the risk of publishing your trial runs!
- Add a Button Block to the page, following these instructions.
- Type in what you’d like your button to say, something like Scroll to Top ↑.
- Hyperlink your button to the top of the page by inserting
"#top"into the url space where it says “search or type url.”
- Click on the three dots to the right of the Button Block toolbar and select “Edit as HTML.”
- Copy the code you see.
- Add a Custom HTML Widget to your footer, following these instructions.
- Copy the pasted code into the widget and save it.
- Publish your changes.
This won’t make a fancy, super fast, floating button that will alway display in the bottom corner of your blog, no matter where you’re at on the page. But it will scroll to the top of whatever page or post you’re reading, which can be pretty handy!
Image by Free-Photos.