Ever wondered if you might possibly have Italian roots somewhere in your family? Sometimes you can tell by your last name. But if you’re not sure, try this humorous test to discover if you are Italian, or at least Italian at heart!
You just might be Italian if…
1. If you feel a meal with less than 3 courses is just snack.
Any real meal, after all, should include a first course (primo) and a second course (secondo) with side dishes. Followed by fruit and/or dessert (dolce). And must always end with coffee. Formal meals are also preceded by the antipasto.
2. You feel cheated if that meal doesn’t include some form of pasta.
Or at least a nice risotto or pizza! While you know Italy doesn’t have a national dish, pasta is top on your list. Because you know that all true Italians eat it every day, if not twice. It’s simply inconceivable to do otherwise.
3. You hate poorly prepared food.
To you cooking is an art, and as with all art forms, it deserves to be done with finesse and the best of ingredients.
4. Meals are a social event.
You hate eating alone because food should always be accompanied by the laughter and conversation of good company. And never rushed. You think nothing of spending 2-3 hours around the dinner table!
5. You cannot speak without your hands and other body movements.
Your hands, body, and facial expressions all become quite animated when you talk. A shrug of the shoulders, raised eyebrows, and hands always waving about. After all, how else can you make yourself understood?
6. You find it difficult to talk without shouting.
So much so that others wonder if you’re deaf! But you, like most Italians, are not deaf. (Although intent perhaps on making others so! 😉 ) And probably not mad or arguing, you’re just a passionate person!
7. You have an affectionate, romantic soul.
And enjoy expressing it with flowers, chocolates, hugs, kisses on both cheeks, and other signs of affection.
8. You don’t mind work. But knowing there is more to life than that, you savor a slow laid back life.
You thrive on siestas, or afternoon naps, and days spent just relaxing with friends and family. And enjoy numerous coffee breaks, or stopping for espresso or cappuccino with friends!
9. You thrive on chaos as a natural part of life.
Things in Italy are often poorly organized and difficult to use, because that laid back attitude carries over into the business world. Lines are long and tedious (because nothing works well). So you feel compelled to push and fight to get your place in line, on the bus, or whatever information you need.
10. You enjoy dressing well and have a real sense of style.
For you it’s unthinkable of stepping outside without the proper makeup, hairstyle, and clothing. Perfectly matching, always stylish.
11. Family is extremely important to you.
And only extreme necessity would ever make you think of living far from your loved ones. Or not spending every Sunday and holiday with them.
12. You cringe at Mafia jokes.
Because the Mafia is a real problem in Italy. And one you’re not proud of.
13. You’re proud of being Italian or of Italian descent.
And feel that not only Italian food and fashion is the best in the world. But also that Italian musicians, composers, artists, and singers are the best. Justifiably so, for there has been some truth to it!